Next date: Friday, 23 August 2019 | 04:00 PM
to 08:00 PM
Celebrate National Poetry Month by writing a poem based on the theme “INSPIRE”. // Take a photo for the 'Along the Edges' - poetry spine competition. // Join Scribbles & Scribes for a poetry themed programme on Thurs 8. Come hear the shortlisted entries for the poetry writing competition on Fri 23 for National Poetry Day!
Poetry Writing Competition: INSPIRE
Entries open Mon 1 July and close on Wed 7 Aug. The entry categories are: Children (up to 12), Youth (13-18) and Adults.
- Entries for the Inspire Poetry Writing Competition are now closed -
Come listen to the shortlist poems on Awards Night Fri 23 Aug, for National Poetry Day!
Read the shortlisted poems here: Poetry Shortlist (Adults).pdf(PDF, 59KB) Poetry Shortlist (Children & Youth).pdf(PDF, 47KB)
Along the Edges: Poetry Spine Competition
Show off your skills by stacking book, CD, DVD or audiobook spines to create a poem. Runs from 1 - 18 August | All Ages.
Up to 3 entries per person: use min 3 - max 8 titles to create your poem. No need to rhyme!
Entries are now closed, winners will be announced soon!
Scribble & Scribes:
Create your own poem in this fun illustration and writing group. Thurs 8 Aug | 3.30pm - 4.30pm | aimed at ages 8 -12
National Poetry Day- Awards Night:
Celebrate National Poetry Day and come listen to our shortlisted finalists from this year’s 'Inspire' poetry writing competition.
Fri 23 Aug, 4pm - Children/Youth category; 6pm - Adults category.
Poetry Writing Competition terms and conditions:
Terms and conditions:
• Poems must have the theme of ‘Inspire’
• Poems must fit on an A4 page
• Poems must be original and not have been submitted to any previous competition or promotion
• Prizes will be awarded in each category and a People’s Choice Award in the adult category only
• Entries may be submitted online via this page or put in a drop box at the Central Library. All entries must be received by 12pm, 7 August 2019
• Entries must be entered with an official entry form
• In the event of being shortlisted, you must be available to attend the awards night at the Central Library on Friday 23 August, 2019
Friday, 23 August 2019 | 04:00 PM
- 08:00 PM